Follow Us On Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Mutant Bait
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    19

    Shooting at cars

    My question is when shooting at cars does it matter where I aim at for damage.
    If I shoot the rear or the hood is it all the same.
    Can I shoot out the tires?

  2. #2
    Harbinger of destruction
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Eastern U.S. atop a remote mountain.
    Posts
    815
    This is a good question! As much as I've shot at them I am only really guessing myself. We know that wheels can have independent failure, so I'm not sure how that factors into blowing up a car. I'm pretty confident that other than this the whole hit box of the car applies uniformly. My preferred target though is between the ears of the driver.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by 92Hotel View Post
    This is a good question! As much as I've shot at them I am only really guessing myself. We know that wheels can have independent failure, so I'm not sure how that factors into blowing up a car. I'm pretty confident that other than this the whole hit box of the car applies uniformly. My preferred target though is between the ears of the driver.
    Lol, so I've been wasting time trying to specifically shoot the gas tank.

  4. #4
    Harbinger of destruction
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Eastern U.S. atop a remote mountain.
    Posts
    815
    Quote Originally Posted by Stationed View Post
    Lol, so I've been wasting time trying to specifically shoot the gas tank.
    If you have a jerry can on the road it's a FANTASTIC place to shoot to explode the car

  5. #5
    Mutant Bait
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    19

    I know that trick.

    I'm talking about moving cars zipping by. I guess I will try some experiments and get back because no one seems to know.

  6. #6
    Commander of Motion
    Miscreated Team
    TheAnimatedFlame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtoe View Post
    I'm talking about moving cars zipping by. I guess I will try some experiments and get back because no one seems to know.
    For the time being, cars will take damage from whatever surface of theirs is hit (disregarding the glass, but there was a known issue with the sedans and them taking damage if they were shot in any of the windows in the past).
    We do plan on making cars' hit-boxes more sophisticated in the future. Something like having critical components that take more damage and other spots take far less damage, etc.

    Hope this satiates your curiosity.

  7. #7
    Harbinger of destruction
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Eastern U.S. atop a remote mountain.
    Posts
    815
    Excellent info, thank you!

  8. #8
    Mutant Bait Jonkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    12
    Awesome! This will add to the realism of the game.

  9. #9
    Mutant Bait
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    19

    Great. Thank you

    Mabey in the next update you can make it so you can shoot out the tires. This way when cars are zipping by you would be able to slow them down.
    As of now when you are in a car you don't have to much to worry about.
    Just my two cents.

  10. #10
    Commander of Motion
    Miscreated Team
    TheAnimatedFlame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtoe View Post
    Mabey in the next update you can make it so you can shoot out the tires. This way when cars are zipping by you would be able to slow them down.
    As of now when you are in a car you don't have to much to worry about.
    Just my two cents.
    Tires of vehicles can be shot out. I believe this has been a feature in the game since the introduction of vehicles.

  11. #11
    Mutant Bait
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    19

    Yes. Correct

    I just tried it. Can shoot out tires with no damage to the vehicle.
    Thanks. Look out all you drive by junkies.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimatedFlame View Post
    For the time being, cars will take damage from whatever surface of theirs is hit (disregarding the glass, but there was a known issue with the sedans and them taking damage if they were shot in any of the windows in the past).
    We do plan on making cars' hit-boxes more sophisticated in the future. Something like having critical components that take more damage and other spots take far less damage, etc.

    Hope this satiates your curiosity.
    As long as you don't give cars a sweet spot that if hit the car explodes. Not only that wouldn't be realistic (the Discovery Channel TV show MythBusters tackled this question in a 2004 episode, shooting five bullets into the gas tank of a Cadillac. There was no explosion, not even a fire), but it would also be very frustrating for anyone who spent a considerable amount of time looking for a vehicle and all of its components if any fool with a gun could blow you up in one or two shots -_-

    I like realism in games, but there is always a limit beyond which a game can become tedious and overly frustrating. A game needs to be fun to play in the first place, so please let's not make cars too vulnerable, I think they are vulnerable enough as they are (tires can be shot at, the body takes damage from impact and bullets, and you can very easily get stuck on top of an obstacle if you don't drive carefully).

  13. #13
    Shoot the driver, then any passengers who exit the vehicle once the driver dies and his corpse falls out of the vehicle. Never shoot the vehicle, otherwise you can't steal it after.
    Roadkill is apocalyptic dining at its finest.

  14. #14
    Mutant Bait zentrics's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    12

    Car

    I personally blew up a sedan with 2 shots (M40Rifle) into the hood and it blew. The next day i shot twice on the trunk but even 5 shots with M40 didnt do anything to the sedan. So heres the conclusion.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by zentrics View Post
    I personally blew up a sedan with 2 shots (M40Rifle) into the hood and it blew.
    Something like hat shouldn't happen. This game is not a Die Hard movie.

  16. #16
    Mutant Bait
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    19

    Did you check the health of the car.

    Just asking because I shot a parked sedan and the hit points were all equal. I will try again.

  17. #17
    Wasteland Warrior Fighting Phantom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimatedFlame View Post
    For the time being, cars will take damage from whatever surface of theirs is hit (disregarding the glass, but there was a known issue with the sedans and them taking damage if they were shot in any of the windows in the past).
    We do plan on making cars' hit-boxes more sophisticated in the future. Something like having critical components that take more damage and other spots take far less damage, etc.

    Hope this satiates your curiosity.
    Get rid of exploding cars. Have them break down at 100% damage and Despawn a few minutes after being abandoned.

    Include a special "engine whine" sound effect to indicate the engine is dead, and a "check engine" light on the 1st-person vehicle instrument panel.

    Cars should only explode when hit with actual explosives.

    Doing this would have MANY bennifits :

    • Vehicles can be used for cover in firefights
    • Players can survive anti-vehicle ambushes without exploding. This allows them to exit the vehicle and fight back
    • More loot: the trunk can be looted because the car isn't blown up... And drivers and passengers can potentially be looted by killing them as they exit the vehicle
    Last edited by Fighting Phantom; 01-23-2017 at 01:50 AM.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Phantom View Post
    Get rid of exploding cars. Have them break down at 100% damage and Despawn a few minutes after being abandoned.

    Include a special "engine whine" sound effect to indicate the engine is dead, and a "check engine" light on the 1st-person vehicle instrument panel.

    Cars should only explode when hit with actual explosives.

    Doing this would have MANY bennifits :

    • Vehicles can be used for cover in firefights
    • Players can survive anti-vehicle ambushes without exploding. This allows them to exit the vehicle and fight back
    • More loot: the trunk can be looted because the car isn't blown up... And drivers and passengers can potentially be looted by killing them as they exit the vehicle
    That's how it should be! and of course your engine shouldn't die just because someone shot your back bumper.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •